Getting Directions.

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here," asked Alice. "That depends a good deal on where you want to get," said the Cat.

02 October 2008

The North Face is My Favorite Color.

I have a new favorite color.
It is The North Face, and not only does it nicely compliment my skin complexion, it also brings out the color of my eyes.

BEFORE I realized that I went to school with hundreds of American students, I thought I went to school with dozens of non-American students (European, South American, etc.).
During this period of ignorance, I saw little to no The North Face.
But since class started on Monday, my world has been rocked with 75million+ new faces; All Americans, all from mainly the east coast (go figure), and all lovin' on the The North Face... hard.
It has suddenly become incredibly easy to pick out IES (American exchange) students from the crowd of Cattolica students: Wearing 4 inch stilettos? Def Italian. A guy wearing ONLY Armani Exchange? Italian. Girl in Birkenstocks? Could be Italian... oh, jk, she's wearing a The North Face fleece. AMERICAN!!!! Written all over her rich east coast toosh. Typical.

Speaking of school starting...

On Monday I began my three courses for the semester:

1. Italian Conversation, Culture, and Cuisine: The first day of class I was greeted with the news that the chef who was to teach us to cook had died. Bad juju? I think so.
This class is ENTIRELY in Italian. SURPRISE... I had no idea. This may or may not be interesting.

2. Italian History: The best class of the three. We go on weekly field trips to see things like Da Vinci's The Last Supper, and Da Vinci's museum with his working models, and ancient Roman arhitecture. I love it.

3. Italian Literature: Awesome instructor, but ... ugh ... I am so sick of literature.

Overall, the week has been incredibly wonderful/overwhelming. Some highlights:

- The IES building is like a maze.
Half of our grade is based on whether or not we can find the classroom...
Not only does the time of the class change every day, the classroom also changes. There are also keypads protecting all the doors. And what seems like 5million+ doors to choose from. So, I'm either dumb or this system is confusing...
- Exchange students are def a certain special kind of people. I have met a couple Ice Princesses, but a HUGE majority of everyone is amazingly kind and open minded and enthusiastic. I love it. And everyone I've met.
- I FINALLY found out who I am!!! This was a HUGE question earlier this week... which program I was studying with. And.... drum roll... I AM A CATTOLICA STUDENT!?!?!?
I feel like a person... finally.

In other news, Giacomo (the little boy I teach) doesn't hate me anymore. I'm even leaning towards saying that he likes me! I am so happy!!?!??!?!?!?!
He also had conversations with me on Wednesday! Well, I talked in English, but he replied correctly to all my questions... in Italian. Oh well. One step at a time.

This weekend I'll be in Padova. Next weekend, Roma.

Ciao!

1 comment:

jordan said...

north face is the bane of my existence.

i'm glad you are going to like the history course, and that's pretty funny about finding classes that are constantly moving time and location :).

<3 <3 <3

jordan