
When I went to school in Indiana, studied in Italy, and the times I have visited my boyfriend in Washington, DC I was often asked where I'm from.
These are typical questions college students ask other college students, where are you from, what are you studying, oh, what are you planning on doing with that Peace Studies degree...?
Most peoples' responses to the first question are boring places like Texas and Maine.
"Maine? I love lobster."
"Texas... the Lone Star Stateeeeee."
But not me. Oh, no.
I'm from North Dakota. And when I drop this bomb on people it is often like I've revealed that I am Mary, Queen of Scots. More probable than being from NoDak? Some think so.
The responses are always the same, not very clever, and alway annoying.
Here's the List:
Common Responses to my answer of the question, "Where are you from?":
1. "What?"
Yes, you heard me right. I said North Dakota. NORTH DAKOTA. Want me to spell it? We've been a state since 1889; We demand as much respect as the first state of the Union, Delaware, and our name is much less dumb than Delaware. That's not even a WORD!
2. "(laughter)"
Hilarious, I know. Just imagine if I had said Idaho, man, we'd be laugh rioting together... instead of you laughing... at me... all alone.
3. "Is it cold there?"
It's called Continental Climate. It's extremely hot in the summer, cold in the winter. And to answer your question, yes, it's cold there. 50 below zero cold. Impressed? I thought so.
4. "What's in North Dakota?"
The world's largest Holstein Cow. Any other questions?
5. " That's where Mount Rushmore is, right?"
Wrong Dakota, jerk. Mount Rushmore is in the lesser Dakota, along with all the other tourist attractions and bikers.
6. "You're the first person I've ever met from North Dakota."
No Way? I'm glad to see you're branching out, meeting more people from AWESOME states. Feels good to come out from under your rock that is CALIFORNIA, huh?
7. "Oh, do you know (enter name here)?"
Just because my state has less people than your entire home town does NOT mean that I am familiar with every person... and yes, I do know him.
8. "The Fighting Sioux!"
Congratulations! You've gotten one fact correct about my state.
9. "Do you live in Fargo, like the movie?"
I've never seen the movie. It was filmed in Minnesota. And no, I do not talk like that. But, you betcha', I live in Fargo.
10. "You're joking."
No, I am not joking. There are three things I never joke about: The Holocaust, $$, and North Dakota.
In other news:
I went to DC for Spring Break. While there, I was able to introduced my little sister Jamie to the glory that is Georgetown, cute crew boys, and Sweet Green's frozen yogurt.
Sandra Dunwoody also made a surprise appearance in G-Town the Friday of spring break. I awed her with my knowledgeable walking tour of Georgetown.
JOB IDEA: Unofficial G-Town Tour Guide. I'll work on it.
In all, my spring break included lots of boys in spandex (as usual), good food, Pottstown family time, and boyfriend lovin'.
All of my favorite things.
ok.
Bed.
Ciao.

1 comment:
I spent 6 lovely years in Delaware. From ages 12-18.
chick i met my freshman year in college: where are you from?
me: delaware
chick: i've heard of that place - it's a town in pennsylvania, right?
needless to say, i struggled with this partial identity, as well (colorado born, delaware/nj raised, utah refined).
Post a Comment