Getting Directions.

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here," asked Alice. "That depends a good deal on where you want to get," said the Cat.

03 April 2009

It's Like Public School, But Less Scary.

Let me begin by saying that I am a very nice and bubbly person:


I've spent a lot of money on school the past four years.

Like, a lot a lot.

After 2-ish years of shopping around, I finally settled on one, and will be graduating this May (fingers crossed) from a school that I'm not entirely certain is aware that I even exist.

It's complicated.

But, I'm happy. Happy I took college courses at Mary while a senior. Happy-ish that my two semesters of TERROR at MSUM taught me NEVER to just roll over and take it. Happy that I had my cliche college experience with some of the greatest people I know in Indiana (where I spent the most $$). Happy beyond words that I crossed an ocean to spend a semester in Italy (and in the process spent lots-o $$/fell in love). And happy that I'll hopefully someday have a diploma from a school that I'm pretty sure hates me... without even knowing me.

Oh well.

What I'm getting at is that my 4 year college experience has been eventful, and expensive.

But I have recently discovered that both you and I can get an Ivy League education FOR FREE via the internet. AMAZING, right?
Right.

http://www.academicearth.org/

It's like going to Yale, without being forced to be an overworked high school loser*, dropping THOUSANDS on tuition, and burning all your old Hollister gear and hair gel in an attempt to fully accept the New Haven dress code.

This website has videos that track ENTIRE courses. You can watch them lecture by lecture.
They have history courses, religion, math, etc.
Hell, even medical school courses.
I CAN GO TO HARVARD MED FOR FREE ON THE INTERNET.

THIS IS A MIRACLE.

PRIVATE SCHOOL FOR FREE!!
It's like public school, minus the gangs!?!?!?!?!
And not just ANY private school. oh no. We're not giving away Jamestown College here.
IT IS IVY LEAGUE.
Oh, Heavens.

I am now left wondering why I WASTED all this $$ when I could be Yale educated from the comfort of my cozy, twin bed... all alone. Watching a Yale literature professor lecture about American female authors' role in the development of 20th century politics. With little to no social interaction. No fun. Never leaving my apartment. Just watching lecture after Ivy League lecture.
Because that's what college is about, right?
Obtaining a diploma while maintaining a perfect GPA?

What I am now getting at is that everyone who thinks this, then attempted to guilt me into putting up with the bedsore that is MSUM (my freshmen year HELL) truly sucks.
Yes, I've spent money. Yes, it's going to be annoying to pay back. But, I'm happier than you are. So, you can take your plans and your perfect GPA and your Saturday night study sessions and you can... well, you know.

BAH!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the studious, just the jerks out there who turn their jealousy of my carefree, slightly flaky lifestyle into one of their boring physics lectures about how terrible it is that I wasted my college career on 5 different universities, and thousands of $$.

ARGH!!!!!!
I'm just annoyed.

Sorry that I've been cynical as of late. I think it's the weather.

Ciao Ciao.




* Ivy League Early Admissions Accepted Loser = 4.0, award winning artist, captain of the lacrosse and water polo teams, lead of the spring musical, president of at least 3 charitable societies, editor-in-chief of the school newspaper, perfect 800s in all 3 SAT subjects, Nobel Prize worthy admissions essay, a 4th generation Legacy, and not to mention a minority (except not Asian, sorry, you get docked for that (look it up)).

No comments: