Getting Directions.

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here," asked Alice. "That depends a good deal on where you want to get," said the Cat.

14 June 2009

The Apthorp: Home Away From Home.


I've been day dreaming for the last month of historic restoration projects. Like big ones.
Like, buying giant worn-down apartment buildings in cool cities like New York or Philly and restoring them to their historic glory. I mean, not like a museum, but super awesome historic and yet modern places to live.

I saw this today on The New York Observer website and thought it was a perfect example of what I've been dreaming of: The Apthorp.

Very beautiful. Very "New York Gilded Age", which is what I was aiming for!!! Without knowing what to refer to it as. Now I know.


Upon exploring the website, I discovered that the wall detailing I've always loved is called wainscot. Weird, eh? Wainscot is the decorative wood paneling that comes part-way up an interior wall. And isn't the coloring of this room beautiful as well? Adorable. Well, it's settled. If I don't get to live IN the Apthorp, then I will recreate the look at my own humble abode... someday.

... in other news:

I hope ya'll watched that video I linked to my blog two posts ago. The Harvard Commencement Speech one. The one entitled, "Bull Markets Come and Go, Snobbery is Forever." Click that link to view the youtube video. It's ingenious. I've been quoting it for the past two days. So, get with the times... AND WATCH IT!?

Historic Love,

Anni Lizzi.

No comments: