Getting Directions.

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here," asked Alice. "That depends a good deal on where you want to get," said the Cat.

07 September 2008

Postively.

Whomever told me that studying abroad would be a walk in the park, LIED!

And, I guess, no one ever actually said this to me. It was assumed. Based loosely on first hand accounts and movies.

While it has not been super duper easy, by any means, my first month here in Italy has been enlightening, to say the least.
I will leave Italy with more than just the Italian language under my belt (fingers crossed):

1. I have mastered the art of impromptu pasta making; a skillet, olive oil, boiling water, noodles, whatever the hell you want in your pasta.
2. Home Barista: I will never melt another stove top coffee maker again, hopefully.
3. New friends; My 4 roommates and the dozens of people I have met here thus far are amazing people. From ALL over, not just Italy.
4. A new found appreciation for my faith; I am completely in love with the church I found; Chiesa Santa Maria del Carmine. The people here are amazing and the church is beautiful.
5. Most importantly, Patience:
At home, I can relax when everything is done. I rush to finish supper, the dishes, the laundry, phone calls, paper work. Here in Italy, everything is not less important, just much less rushed! I am still learning to sit and relax after supper, instead of finishing my last bite at the sink while I start to wash dishes.
My Italian home life isn't the only place I'm learning patience. I'm in the process of applying this patience technique to most aspects of my life. Not always easy... but I have a feeling this is important life lesson stuff.

I mean, in the last 4 days, many things have "fallen into place". I have talked more candidly with friends and family than ever before. I have ran daily for a week. I am eating wonderful food that I have prepared myself! I am getting to know my roommates. I have met beautiful people at my church. I am getting involved! With the help of a fantastic friend, I have found assistance in finding an apartment in Fargo. I have European travel plans. I know what I want to be doing in two years. I have been writing more daily than EVER before. I am conquering a new city! A new language! A new culture! I am looking fashionable and I'm loving life...

Although it's sometimes takes a little effort to see the enjoyment/good in it all. Ugh. And I mean that in a positive way...



O' Italia.

No comments: